Saturday 21 September 2013

Traveling with paleo

This week I returned from a road trip to Spain with my boyfriend Jason. It was my parents 40th Ruby wedding anniversary. We had been planning the trip for a few months and when it finally came around, it felt a bit surreal. I had never driven in France before and certainly not driven down to Spain. I had done with my parents when I was 14 years old, but doing the drive yourself is a different story.
When we planned the trip, I wasn't planning on competing in the worlds, so I didn't think about food and snacks for the journey. That was the last thing on my mind.
A few days before I wanted to prove to myself that I could eat Paleo the whole way to Spain and back.

When being on a Paleo diet, the key words are organisation and preparation.

I had made a batch of Protein bars


You can find the recipe here: http://www.kineticmartialarts.co.uk/#!protein-bars/ctpz

I had cut up a whole Pineapple to snack on throughout the trip


Nakd bars kept our energy up


Jason's Egg and cheese Salad filled a nice hole


This was accompanied by some peppered Mackerel


Once we arrived in Spain, I kept my food healthy and always opted for the fish dish if we ate out or at home.
I did have a cheat day while I was there as it was my parents anniversary and the Chocolate beetroot cake, Raspberry Cheesecake I made and my mum's tiramisu had to be tried. I literally had the smallest piece and felt so sick after!!
It's amazing how you feel when you eat sugar after not having it for so long.

The journey back to England via Berritz and Paris was a little different as we drove through the night and didn't need any meals, so I pretty much lived on Almonds and Cranberries to snack on.

We stopped in Berritz for breakfast and had the most awesome scrambled eggs. I don't think I have ever had any so lovely in all my life!

When we left Paris, we hadn't eaten much at all. I had bought a Banana and ate it for breakfast. We were in a bit of a rush to get around Paris and see as many sights as possible and not waste any time. By 2pm we were on route to Calais to catch the Euro tunnel train.
My belly was rumbling for the first time in what seemed like forever. Eating Paleo, you never seem to get too hungry, so it was a bit weird having this feeling. Thankfully when we stopped to fuel up, there was a decent cafe that served really healthy Paleo friendly food.
My salad had chicken in it, but I soon picked that out and enjoyed what was left.


So now there really is no excuse to travel and not eat healthy.


When I left England on 7th September I weighed 58.1kg. Today I weigh 56.5kg. A perfect featherweight!
Enjoy!
Jolie x

No comments:

Post a Comment