Monday 15 July 2013

Spinach smoothie

For a while now I have been wanting to make a smoothie, a green one, only because I have never tasted one. Yesterday morning I had no choice but to make one. There were no eggs, tomatoes or mushrooms to make  an omelette for breakfast, but I did have some ingredients for a smoothie. One of the reasons I wanted to try a smoothie for breakfast was to see how long it would be until I felt the need to eat again. I never really imagined that it would keep me going for long. I made my smoothie at 6:30am and by 9am I felt that I should eat something, only because I was going for a crossfit session and I wanted to make sure that I had enough energy.
Eating every 3 hours is perfect, as it keeps our metabolism motivated and on the move, it's when we starve ourself that the body goes in to panic mode and holds on to fats because it doesn't know when it's going to be fed again.
Food is fuel, and just like a car we need to keep fueling it to keep it moving and running well.
Anyway, back to the smoothie.
Here is how I made it.....

Ingredients:

Handful of spinach
1 lime, juiced
1.5cm sq of Ginger, grated
1/2 a Mango
Tablespoon of Almond butter
Splash of water
8 cubes of ice

Method:

In your blender, crush the ice, then add the spinach, lime juice, ginger, Mango and almond butter. Push everything to the bottom of the blender and add a splash of water. Blend until everything is smooth and has not lumps or bumps in it.
And thats it!


I was pretty amazed at how luminous it looked and pretty scared that it was going to taste awful, even though individually I love all the ingredients.
It tasted lovely and was a pleasure to have something different for breakfast. The great thing about smoothies, are that the possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!
Jolie x

No comments:

Post a Comment