Friday 22 March 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Today there has been snow again (not where I live thankfully, but it is pretty chilly) and Spring doesn't seem to be in sight just yet, so we need something lovely to warm our cockles. Heehee
I weighed myself this morning and I had put on 1kg and it kind of freaked me out a bit. I have been doing a lot of conditioning this week and I know that it's muscle that I have put on. It's still a little scary to see the extra weight on the scales though.
Since the Europeans I have stuck to a healthy 58kg. I have a cheat day once a week and allow myself to eat carbs at the weekend. Four weeks before my next competition, I will get focused and stop the cheat days and cut the carbs completely. I only have to drop 1.5 - 2kg to feather and I can do that in 10 days, but I like to feel good on the lead up to the tournament.

After making the Butternut Squash bake the other day, I still had half a squash in the fridge, so I thought that I'd make soup today. It's a favourite of mine, low in calories and so good for you!
You don't have to roast the squash, you can boil it, but personally, I think it has more flavour roasted.

Ingredients:

Coconut Oil
Onion
Garlic (optional) - I don't put this in because I don't think it's fair to my training partners, but it does taste nice with it added :)
Butternut Squash
Chopped Carrot - To add thickness
Veg stock

Method:

Roast the squash and carrots in the oven until tender at 200 Degrees.
Once cooked, peel off the skin of the squash and set aside.
Melt coconut oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft.
Add boiling water to the pan (be careful as the oil can splash up at you), then add the veg stock to the pan too.
Add the squash and carrot pieces and lower the heat to simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste, then with a hand blender, whizz all the ingredients together.
Serve in a bowl and drizzle some melted coconut oil over to make the presentation lovely and give it a little extra flavour.

Simple isn't it!?

Enjoy! x



I still had some Butternut squash bake left over so I added a couple of slices on the side for a bit of Protein. I actually dunked it in the soup too. I liked it a lot, but it's a personal thing! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment