Monday 22 June 2015

Protein Pancake

Since the British Open back in May, my training has finally got back on track and I have fallen back in love with Jiu Jitsu. We never really fell out of love, we just had a hic-cup and had to deal with a few changes. The changes being that of now training and competing under another team.

With all the posts about 'Creonte's' on the Facebook UK BJJ group, a part of me wondered if thats what I was?
For those who don't know, Creonte was the name of a Brazilian TV soap character. He was a traitor. Carlson Gracie named those who left the team, started their own and fought in competitions against their old team, a Creonte. At least this is what I was told!

The emphasis is always on the fault of the student for leaving the team, and it's been interesting reading posts of those who had to change teams due to moving, work commitments or just generally not getting on with their coach.
We are only human, and when you have a coach, you need to respect them and look up to them and really feel comfortable knowing that they are the right person to help you on your Jiu Jitsu journey. It is after all our own personal journey, even though we are part of a team, we train, compete and put our body through hell to make ourselves better.

So am I a Creonte for changing teams? No, I don't feel like it anyway. I now train under BJJ Revolution Team International who are a branch of the Carlson Gracie Team tree. My new coach is Eduardo Gonçalves (Black Belt) and Mark Nixon (Brown Belt). I've been training with Edu in East London, and with Mark and the team in Felixstowe. Yes it's a long way for me to go for training, especially as I'm right in the middle of both academies, but when you love something as much as I love Jiu Jitsu, you will make the effort to make it part of your routine. I've known the guys a long time, pretty much all of my Jiu Jitsu life as they often trained or taught seminars at Carlson Gracie Essex.
So whats different about BJJ Revolution team training? Nothing. Everyone is there to learn, train hard and do a good job when competing. The training is tough, the students are awesome, and I've met some great people who I can call friends.  My next competition will be in Nice, France on the 4th July and I'm excited to travel abroad again and represent the team well.

This Sunday we had a ladies training session in Felixstowe. There was only a few of us. We went over basics, chokes, more advanced positions and had plenty of sparring at the end. It was a good session and hopefully the ladies got a lot from it. I certainly did.
The session was open to all gyms and it was a good introduction for beginners and a refresher for those a bit more advanced.
We will definitely hold more sessions as it was a lot of fun.
Ladies training - Jolie, Katie, Freya, Jemma & Jenny
Thanks to Katie for bringing the Strawberry Protein cookies for the end of the session. They were really lovely. I've never made Protein cookies before, so maybe I'll save that for another blog.

This blog recipe is all about breakfast!
I love breakfast so much and feel its so important to me to start the day fuelled and ready to take it on. There is another pancake recipe that my friend Haley gave me and I blogged about it a while back, but I actually feel this is so much better. Sorry Hayley!

Ingredients:

Banana
Peach or Nectarine
2 Tablespoons of flax seed
2 Eggs
1 Tsp Moringa powder
Honey
Coconut oil

Method:

Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in a small non stick pan on a low heat.
In a blender, whizz half a banana, half a peach or nectarine, add 2 tablespoons of flax seeds, 2 Eggs and one teaspoon of Moringa powder all together. Add to the pan of melted oil and cook until brown on one side. When it's ready, flip it over and cook the other side for a minute or two.
Turn on to a plate and add honey and the remaining banana and peach.

Pancake with Moringa - I was told it looked like Jabba....!
This pancake honestly keeps me completely full until after lunch. It's delicious. If you don't like the idea of a green pancake, you don't have to add the Moringa, and it's perfectly fine without it.
Pancake without Moringa


Enjoy!
Jolie x



No comments:

Post a Comment